Monday, November 12, 2012

Open Blog - PhD In Accounting

Today, I read an article from "The Globe and Mail" titled, "Not Enough Accounting PhDs?" The article was published on June 15, 2012. Until now I did not think that I need to have PhD degree in order to become an accountant. Actually there is no need to have PhD degree in order to work at Big 4. People need at least 150 credits in order to be eligible to work at an audit firm (120 college credit + 30 graduate school credit). However, after reading this article, I changed my mind little bit.
The article was about how accountants are in demand, but the PhD-trained professors are actually in need, too. Due to high demand of accountants, more and more students are jumping into accounting major. However, most of them become accountants and stop their academic careers. However, if there is no one  who is getting PhD degree, there will not be enough professor to teach students who are heading into the profession. I learned that if I receive PhD degree, I can be a person who is necessary in this society.
When I talked with Professor Bronson, he told me that PhD can be a huge advantage for people who are trying to become accountants such as getting opportunity to do research. As a result, when I visit Canada during Winter break, I am going to talk seriously with my parents about getting PhD degree.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/business-education/not-enough-accounting-phds/article4267472/

No comments:

Post a Comment